- Dr. Patricia A. Areán Named New Director of NIMH’s Division of Services and Intervention Research
Patricia A. Areán, Ph.D., has been selected as the new director of the National Institute of Mental Health’s (NIMH) Division of Services and Intervention Research (DSIR).
- Dr. Lisa Bowleg Named James S. Jackson Memorial Award Winner
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) has named applied Social Psychologist Lisa Bowleg, Ph.D., M.A., the 2023 James S. Jackson Memorial Award winner.
- Blocking HIV Enzyme Reduces Infectivity and Slows Viral Rebound
In this NIMH-funded study, researchers developed a compound that blocked an enzyme critical for forming HIV particles, which stopped the virus from correctly forming and becoming infectious.
- Youth Emergency Department Visits for Mental Health Increased During Pandemic
Hospital visits for urgent mental health care increased among children and teens in the second year of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to an NIMH-supported study.
- Researchers Solve the Puzzle of a Brain Receptor’s Activation
Researchers in a NIMH-supported study identified a new receptor for glycine that helps enhance communication between nerve cells in the brain and offers a potential new target for treating mental disorders.
- Mothers' Difficult Childhoods Impact Their Children’s Mental Health
In this NIMH-funded study, researchers examined how trauma gets passed from one generation to the next.
- Newly Discovered Brain Connection Affects Reward Behavior in Mice
NIMH-funded research sheds light on how negative early life experiences may impact how we act in response to rewards, which is often disrupted in people with mental illnesses.
- Researchers Find Order in the Language of the Brain
New research supported by NIMH used mathematical approaches to explain how neurons in the brain communicate over time to support information processing.
- Youth Suicide Rates Increased During the COVID-19 Pandemic
In one of the first studies to examine national youth suicide rates during the COVID-19 pandemic, researchers showed that the pandemic increased youth suicide rates and the impact varied by sex, age, and race and ethnicity.
- NIMH’s Dr. Susan Daniels Designated National Autism Coordinator
Susan A. Daniels, Ph.D. has been appointed as the HHS National Autism Coordinator and Director of the Office of National Autism Coordination (ONAC).