NIMH Global Mental Health VISTA Awards: Visionary Innovators Shaping Tomorrow's Advancements
The National Institute of Mental Health's (NIMH) Global Mental Health Team recognizes the importance of nurturing career growth and fostering innovation among researchers in the early stages of their careers.
The call for applications is currently closed. We are no longer accepting new applications at this time.
The scientific contributions of early career researchers are essential for addressing our most pressing global mental health challenges. The inaugural NIMH VISTA Awards seek to recognize the next generation of global mental health leaders who continue to push the boundaries of knowledge through groundbreaking ideas, discoveries, and perspectives.
NIMH seeks nominations from exceptional early career researchers (international and domestic) who exemplify excellence in:
- Research: Demonstrate exceptional initiative-driven creativity through engagement in research, professional pursuits, or other scholastic activities that address (or have the potential to address) current and emerging global mental health challenges.
- Community and Collaboration: Demonstrate the spirit of partnerships, collaboration, and knowledge exchange among peers, colleagues, and impacted communities.
- Equity and Inclusivity: Demonstrate a strong commitment to promoting and producing meaningful work that is respectful, inclusive, equitable and exemplifies the importance of diverse perspectives and contributions.
Interested applicants must meet the following criteria to apply for this award:
- Applicants must be advanced graduate students, trainees, post-doctoral/research fellows, or early career investigators. Early career investigators are defined as someone who has completed their terminal research degree (e.g., M.P.H., M.D., Ph.D., or equivalent) within the past 10 years.
- Applicants must be actively involved in research (may include data-driven clinical or industry work) that has the potential to impact the field of global mental health positively.
The selected awardees will receive the following:
- An invitation to attend the 12th Global Mental Health Research Without Borders Conference in Bethesda, Maryland, USA. Awardees will receive travel funding (lodging, per diem, and transportation)
- An opportunity to showcase their work at the conference (including a poster presentation) to NIMH leadership, staff, and conference attendees.
- Opportunities for networking and career development activities throughout the year, such as an invitation to deliver a public lecture at a future NIMH Global Mental Health Research seminar (dates to be determined).
Applicants who wish to be considered for the NIMH VISTA Award must submit an application packet with the following materials:
- Curriculum vitae
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a mentor, advisor, or another individual who can attest to the applicant's work ethic, character, and professional and/or academic skills and accomplishments
- A description of the applicant's research, not to exceed 250 words
- A response to the following essay question, not to exceed 1 page: "How would your experience, perspective, and line of research contribute to improving global mental health?"
Application packets must be submitted via email (single PDF preferable) to NIMHGMHearlycareeraward@nih.gov by the deadline for full award consideration.