Suicide is a significant global public health problem. Formed in November 2019, the Suicide Research Team leads NIMH’s suicide research activities and coordinates outreach initiatives that engage key agencies and stakeholders supporting research and other efforts to help prevent suicide.
The team’s work focuses on areas that align with the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention and significantly impact the Institute’s commitment to reducing the suicide rate by 20% by 2025. This includes activities like advancing suicide prevention research in health care settings. The team also focuses on potential increases in suicide-associated risks due to the COVID-19 pandemic (for example, distress associated with unemployment) and increases in suicide risk for underserved populations. The team’s initiatives are continually evolving to meet newer and emerging priorities, such as concerning trends in youth suicide, especially among Black youth.
The Suicide Research Team helps develop suicide-related workshops and funding opportunities to address suicide prevention research gaps. Topics range from suicide etiology (for example, social isolation; sleep problems) and risk identification (for example, risk algorithms from electronic medical records) to implementing practical and scalable interventions in a variety of settings, including health care, education, and criminal justice systems that serve at-risk populations.
Recent Meetings and Events
Social Disconnection and Late-Life Suicide: Mechanisms, Treatment Targets, and Interventions
September 17 – 18, 2020
Featured Funding Opportunity Announcements
- Service-Ready Tools for Identification, Prevention, and Treatment of Individuals at Risk for Suicide (SBIR/STTR) - expires June 16, 2022
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI) in Research on Risk and Prevention of Black Youth Suicide - expires July 31, 2022
- Pilot Practice-Based Research for Primary Care Suicide Prevention - expires February 22, 2023
- Social Disconnection and Suicide Risk in Late Life
- Understanding Suicide Risk and Protective Factors among Black Youth
Suicide News and Events
Explore research advances and ongoing research on suicide and suicide prevention efforts supported by or conducted at NIMH.
Find NIMH science news related to suicide and suicide prevention.
Discover NIMH workshops and scientific meetings related to suicide.
- Suicide Statistics
Selected statistics on U.S. suicide deaths, suicide attempts, and suicide ideation.
- Conducting Research with Participants at Elevated Risk for Suicide: Considerations for Researchers
NIMH guidance on suicide intervention research, which addresses ethical and participant safety questions, federal policies and guidance, state-specific laws and policies, and cross-cutting research issues.
- Director’s Messages About Suicide
Information about suicide prevention research and science from NIMH Director Dr. Joshua A. Gordon.
Jane Pearson, Ph.D.
Special Advisor on Suicide Research to the NIMH Director