Moving to a Different Organization
Many NIH grant mechanisms allow the Principal Investigator (PI) to bring their grants with them when they change recipient organizations. This change is subject to approval by NIH, and specific procedures must be followed to make this process run smoothly and quickly.
If you are a current NIMH recipient, you must contact your NIMH Program Official (PO) and Grants Management Specialist (GMS) before your move to initiate the process of transferring your grant.
Contact information for the current NIMH program officer (PO) and grants management specialist (GMS) assigned to your grant can be found in Electronic Research Administration (eRa) Commons .
It is important to notify NIH of your plan to transfer as far in advance as possible; the timing of your transfer request can have significant implications. Please do not wait until after you have moved to contact us about transferring your grant. NIMH recommends that you begin the formal process of requesting the transfer of your grant at least 60 days in advance of your move to the new organization.
Please be aware of the following:
- NIMH will not transfer a grant in a no-cost extension (NCE) unless there is an extraordinary circumstance. If you think you have one that we should consider, contact your assigned GMS and PO before you request transferring a grant into an NCE.
- In general, NIMH does not transfer multi-project grants due to the complexity and potential disruption to synergy amongst the Cores and Projects.
The first step in this process is to contact your PO to discuss the feasibility of the transfer. If your PO raises no concerns, your next step is to contact the GMS assigned to your award. The GMS is your main NIMH point of contact concerning the transfer process. The GMS can assist with questions about submitting required documentation, such as the Relinquishing Statement and Transfer Application.
The process of transferring a grant or grant application to a different organization is known as a "Change of Recipient Organization” request. Informational materials are required from both the original recipient (Relinquishing Statement ) and the proposed new recipient (Transfer Application ). Further information on the Change of Recipient Organization is also available in the ”Prior Approval Requirements” section in the NIH Grants Policy Statement.
Once the documentation is received, grants management and program staff will conduct an administrative review of the request to determine if the transfer is appropriate and to determine the level of NIH funding that will be awarded to the new recipient. The decision to authorize the transfer of the grant will be based on the following criteria:
- The original organization has relinquished the project.
- The facilities and resources at the new location allow for the successful performance of the project.
- The investigator plans no significant changes in research objectives and level of expenditures from those described in the previously approved project.
A competitive review will be required if the proposed change of recipient organization request does not meet these criteria.
For most grant mechanisms, NIH implemented an electronic process for submitting required transfer documents. General information on this submission process can be found at the following links:
- Former recipient, submitted via eRA Commons: Notice of Pilot Processes for Submitting of Post-Award Relinquishing Statements to NIH
- New recipient, submitted via grants.gov: Change of Recipient Organization Application using the Parent Funding Opportunity Announcement
The instructions in this form letter provide details about the electronic submission process, including required forms and information that must be submitted to NIMH before your Change of Recipient Organization request can be reviewed.
The Electronic Submission Process is the preferred submission method for most transfer situations. However, for the following scenarios, the Electronic Submission Process is not applicable:
- Mechanisms not listed in PA-21-268
- Prior to Award Transfers
- Please note: Prior to Award Transfers do not require the Relinquishing Statement (Form PHS 3734). In lieu of the Relinquishing Statement, a signed letter from the former recipient’s Authorized Organization Representative relinquishing rights to the pending grant award is required. This letter should be submitted as a PDF attachment to the GMS and the PO.
In these situations, the Relinquishing Statement and Transfer Application materials should be submitted directly to your GMS and PO via email as a PDF attachment using the PHS-398 Forms. Details on the required form pages for this “paper submission process” can be found in section 220.127.116.11 of the NIH Grants Policy Statement entitled “Change of Recipient Organization”.