Step 2 — Applying for Funding
Program Officer: Your program officer oversees a grant portfolio in your specific area of interest, coordinating many aspects of a grant from the early planning stage of an application to oversight of funded proposals. He/she can guide you through the application and funding process, both in terms of process and scientific content.
Tip: Communicate with NIMH staff early and often!
Before writing the grant application, you should read the application instructions. Remember to communicate with NIMH Program Officers about any questions you may have concerning an application. If you have questions about grants administration or the preparation of the budget, contact the grants management specialist listed in Section VII of the announcement (PA or RFA).
- Application Forms & Instructions
- Grant Writing Assistance
- Common Mistakes in Writing Applications
- Grant Writing Tips from across NIH
- Example Grant Application
- See an example of an Annotated R01 Grant Application and Summary Statement from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).