Featured studies include only those currently recruiting participants. They are listed according to the date they were added to the ClinicalTrials.gov registry, with the most recent studies appearing first.
- Spatial Context and Fear Learning .
Evaluation study. Background: - Fear is a normal response to a threat. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Cognitive vs. Emotional Psychopharmacological Manipulations of Fear vs. Anxiety .
Interventional study. Background: Stress and anxiety can interfere with how well people perform tasks. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Intravenous Immunoglobulin for PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated With Streptococcal Infections) .
Interventional study. Background: - Some children experience a sudden onset of symptoms similar to those found in obsessive-compulsive disorder that may be caused by the body s reaction to an infection with streptococcal bacteria, most commonly seen as strep throat or scarlet fever. Ages 4-13.
- Anxiety and Recurrent Abdominal Pain in Children .
Interventional study. This study aims to determine whether citalopram is a useful, well-tolerated, and safe treatment for children and adolescents ages 7 to 18 years with functional abdominal pain. Ages 7-18. Location in Columbus, OH.
- Family Study of Affective and Anxiety Spectrum Disorders .
Evaluation study. This study will examine how depression, anxiety, and migraine run in families. Ages up to 60. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- The Psychobiology of Childhood Temperament .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to use brain imaging technology to examine brain changes that occur in children when they are exposed to various kinds of emotional tasks and to determine if these changes are related to the child's temperament. Ages 7-25. Locations in Bethesda, MD; College Park, MD.
- Expectation of Unpleasant Events in Anxiety Disorders .
Evaluation study. Fear and anxiety are normal responses to a threat. Ages 18-60. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Child and Adolescent Anxiety Disorders (CAMS) .
Interventional study. This 9-month study will compare the effectiveness of the medication sertraline (Zoloft®), cognitive-behavioral therapy, the combination of these treatments, and placebo for youth with anxiety disorders. Ages 7-17.
- Brain Changes in Fear .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to use brain imaging technology to investigate brain changes in people exposed to predictable versus unpredictable unpleasant stimuli. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Effects of Arousal and Stress in Anxiety .
Evaluation study. This study has several parts. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Evaluation of Patients With Mood and Anxiety Disorders and Healthy Volunteers .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this protocol is to allow for the careful screening of patients and healthy volunteers for participation in research protocols in the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program (MAP) at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and for the collection of natural history data. Ages 3-99. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Clinical Trial of Fluoxetine in Anxiety and Depression in Children, and Associated Brain Changes .
Evaluation study. This study uses functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to learn how the brain functions in adolescents receiving fluoxetine (Prozac) cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or interpersonal therapy (IPT) for anxiety or depression in children/adolescents. Ages 8-40. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Brain Tissue Collection for Neuropathological Studies .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to collect and study the brain tissue of deceased individuals to learn more about the nervous system and mental disorders. Locations in Washington, DC; Bethesda, MD; Fairfax, VA.