Teen Depression Study: Understanding Depression in Teenagers
Join a Research Study: Enrolling nationally from around the country
Featured studies include only those currently recruiting participants. They are listed according to the date they were added to the ClinicalTrials.gov registry, with the most recent studies appearing first.
- Neurobiology of Suicide .
Interventional study. Background: There are no good treatments for people considering suicide. Ages 18-70. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Antidepressant Effects of the Glycine Receptor Antagonist AV-101 (4-chlorokynurenine) in Major Depressive Disorder .
Interventional study. Background: - Drugs and talk therapy help treat depression, but these treatments usually take quite a bit of time to work. Ages 18-65. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Ask Suicide-Screening Questions to Everyone in Medical Settings (asQ em): Development of a Suicide Risk Screening Instrument for Adult Medical Inpatients .
Evaluation study. Background: - Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death for U.S. Ages 18 and over. Locations in Bethesda, MD; Providence, RI.
- The Neurophysiological Effects of Intravenous Alcohol as Potential Biomarkers of Ketamine's Rapid Antidepressant Effects in Major Depressive Disorder .
Interventional study. Objective: Glutamate-based medications including the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist ketamine result in rapid, robust and sustained (up to one week) antidepressant effects in randomized controlled trials in treatment-refractory unipolar and bipolar depression. Ages 21-65. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Brain Inflammation in Major Depressive Disorder Background .
Evaluation study. Background: - Studies have shown that inflammation plays an important role in depression. Ages 18 and over. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Development of Magnetic Resonance Imaging Techniques for Studying Mood and Anxiety Disorders .
Evaluation study. This study is intended to help develop new MRI imaging techniques for studying mood and anxiety disorders. Ages 18-65. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Early Detection and Prevention of Mood Disorders in Children of Parents With Bipolar Disorder .
Interventional study. This study will develop strategies for early detection and prevention of mood disorders and associated impairment in adolescent children of parents with bipolar disorder. Ages 12-17. Location in New York, NY.
- Prevention of Depression in Spouses of People With Cognitive Impairment .
Interventional study. This study evaluates the effectiveness of a problem-solving training program in preventing depression in the spouses or family caregivers of persons with mild cognitive impairment or early dementia. Ages 18 and over. Location in Pittsburgh, PA.
- Genetics of Recurrent Early Onset Major Depression .
Evaluation study. This study will identify specific genes that may cause a predisposition to depression in some families. Ages 21-70.
- Cognitive Therapy Versus Medication Treatment for Preventing Depression Relapse .
Interventional study. This study will evaluate the longer term effectiveness of cognitive therapy (CT) versus medication treatment or placebo for prevention of recurrence of depression for 24 months after termination of continuation phase therapy. Ages 18-70.
- Brain Energy Metabolism in Individuals With Major Depressive Disorder Receiving Escitalopram .
Interventional study. This study will evaluate changes in brain energy metabolism due to treatment with escitalopram in people with major depressive disorder. Ages 18-65.
- Parent Psychoeducation and Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Latino Adolescents With Depression .
Interventional study. This study will determine the effectiveness of adding a parent-involved intervention to cognitive behavior therapy in reducing depressive symptoms among Latino adolescents with depression. Ages 13-17. Location in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Rapid Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine in Major Depression .
Interventional study. This study examines whether Ketamine can cause a rapid-next day antidepressant effect in patients with Major Depression/Bipolar Disorder . Ages 18-65. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Adding Exercise to Antidepressant Medication Treatment for Depression .
Interventional study. This study will assess the effectiveness of an exercise program in improving antidepressant medication treatment for individuals with major depressive disorder (MDD). Ages 18-70.
- Clinical Trial of Estrogen for Postpartum Depression .
Interventional study. This study evaluates the efficacy of estrogen treatment in women with postpartum depression (PPD). Ages 20-45. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Screening Evaluation for Women With Postpartum Depression .
Evaluation study. This study evaluates the relationship between mood changes and hormones in women with postpartum depression (PPD). Ages 20-45. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Evaluation of Patients With Mood and Anxiety Disorders and Healthy Volunteers .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this protocol is to allow for the careful screening of patients and healthy volunteers for participation in research protocols in the Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program (MAP) at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and for the collection of natural history data. Ages 3-99. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Clinical Trial of Fluoxetine in Anxiety and Depression in Children, and Associated Brain Changes .
Evaluation study. This study uses functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) to learn how the brain functions in adolescents receiving fluoxetine (Prozac) cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or interpersonal therapy (IPT) for anxiety or depression in children/adolescents. Ages 8-40. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- The Role of Hormones in Postpartum Mood Disorders .
Evaluation study. Determine whether postpartum depression is triggered by the abrupt withdrawal of estrogen and progesterone. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Brain Tissue Collection for Neuropathological Studies .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to collect and study the brain tissue of deceased individuals to learn more about the nervous system and mental disorders. Locations in Washington, DC; Bethesda, MD; Fairfax, VA.
- A Treatment Study for Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) .
Evaluation study. This study examines the effects of estrogen and progesterone on mood, the stress response, and brain function and behavior in women with premenstrual syndrome. Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Perimenopause-Related Mood and Behavioral Disorders .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to investigate mood and behavior changes in the time period surrounding and including menopause. Ages 40-60. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Study of Premenstrual Syndrome and Premenstrual Dysphoria .
Evaluation study. The purpose of this study is to identify and describe the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Ages 18-50. Location in Bethesda, MD.
- Evaluation of the Genetics of Bipolar Disorder .
Evaluation study. This study looks to identify genes that may affect a person's chances of developing bipolar disorder (BP) and related conditions. Ages 18-85. Location in Bethesda, MD.