Around 2021-22, current projects include:
- Continuing expansion of FMRI pipeline capabilities with afni_proc.py, including further quality control (QC) pieces and inclusions of multi-echo FMRI processing.
- Expanding the applications of linear-mixed effects (LME) modeling, given its ability to capture the meaningful hierarchies present in data; this flexible methodology has been applied to several new realms recently, in some cases leveraging a Bayesian framework for data pooling and numerical tractability.
- Adding new slice plane functionality to SUMA, for enhancing data visualization capabilities within complicated structures; also, adding surface layer functionality to SUMA.
- Building pipelines for nonhuman imaging, which is a growing area of research.
- Scaling up pipeline capabilities toward full group analyses, for both processing and QC.
- Developing machine learning tools for skullstripping and segmentation of anatomical images.
- Integrating further with other packages within the neuroimaging field.
- Implementing methodologies and frameworks for better science reporting: a focus on modeling and validation, rather than just statistical outputs; and presenting a fuller set of results, rather than losing a lot of information by thresholding.