NIH/NIMH Therapeutics Discovery Research
NIMH supports early-stage therapeutic discovery and development, through first-in-human and early efficacy trials for mental disorders. This web page details the range of NIMH programs and resources related to therapeutic discovery and development, as well as complementary programs available through broader NIH efforts.
|Multiple NIH Institutes/Centers|
|Genetic Variant Identification||Genomic Functional Annotation||Scalable cellular phenotypic measures||Circuit Perturbations||Identification of Novel Targets and Pathways/Target Engagement||Discovery||Preclinical Development||Small (Pilot) Clinical Trials|
|Fine Mapping (RFA-MH-21-100)||Psychoactive Drug Screening Program||Chemical Synthesis Program||First in Human and Early Stage Clinical Trials of Novel Investigational Drugs or Devices for Psychiatric Disorders (PAR-21-133)|
|PsychEncode Program||Behavioral Tasks Targeting Brain Systems Relevant to Anhedonia (PAR-20-235)||NIMH Clinical Trials Funding Opportunity Announcements|
|Convergent Neuroscience (RFA-MH-21-165)||Novel Assays to Address Translational Gaps in Treatment Development (PAR-19-214)||Neuromodulation/Neurostimulation Device Development for Mental Health Applications (PAR-18-941, PAR-18-942)|
|Cellular and Molecular Biology of Complex Brain Disorders (PAR-20-263, PAR-20-264)||Building in vivo Preclinical Assays of Circuit Engagement for Application in Therapeutic Development PAR-19-289|
|Computational Methods for Integrating Tissue and Single Cell Genomic Data from the Brain (RFA-MH-20-300)||Explainable Artificial Intelligence for Decoding and Modulating Neural Circuit Activity Linked to Behavior (PAR-19-344)||Small Business Program SBIR & STTR|
|Understanding and Modifying Temporal Dynamics of Coordinated Neural Activity (PAR-21-175, PAR-21-176)||Engineering Next-Generation Human Nervous System Microphysiological Systems (PAR-20-055, PAR-20-082)|
|Assay development and screening for discovery of chemical probes, drugs or immunomodulators (PAR-20-271)|
|Discovery of cell-based (R21 PAR-21-028) and in vivo (R01 PAR-21-029) Chemical Probes|
|Drug Discovery for Nervous System Disorders (R21 PAR-19-146 and R01 PAR-19-147)|
|Development and Application of PET and SPECT Imaging Ligands as Biomarkers for Drug Discovery and for Pathophysiological Studies of CNS Disorders (R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed PAR-20-037 and R01 Clinical Trial Optional PAR-20-038)|
|National Cooperative Drug/Device Discovery/Development Groups (NCDDG) for the Treatment of Mental or Substance Use Disorders or Alcohol Disorder (U01 Clinical Trial Optional PAR-20-118 and U19 Clinical Trial Optional PAR-20-119)|
|Illuminating the Druggable Genome||Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network|
|Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network-Biologics|
|HEAL Initiative: Planning Studies for Initial Analgesic Development Initial Translational Efforts [Small Molecules and Biologics] (R34 RFA-NS-21-016) and Team Research for Initial Translational Efforts in Non-addictive Analgesic Therapeutics Development (U19 RFA-NS-21-015)|
- NIMH 2020 Strategic Plan for Research: Outlines the Institute’s research goals and priorities over the next five years.
Extramural Divisions Supporting Therapeutics Research and Trials
- Division of Neuroscience and Basic Behavioral Science (DNBBS)
- Division of Translational Research (DTR)
- Division of AIDS Research (DAR)
- Division of Services and Intervention Research (DSIR)
Information Relevant to Therapeutics Discovery FOAs
- From Discovery to Cure: Accelerating the Development of New and Personalized Interventions for Mental Illnesses: Report of the National Advisory Mental Health Council's Workgroup on the next generation of interventions for mental disorders.
- Report of the National Advisory Mental Health Council Workgroup on Genomics: Guidance for applicants following the Report of the National Advisory Mental Health Council Workgroup on Genomics.
- Rigor and Reproducibility: Information to assist the extramural community in addressing rigor and transparency in NIH grant applications and progress reports.
- Research Domain Criteria (RDoC) Project: A description of the RDoC project, workshop proceedings, current Requests for Applications (RFAs), and additional information.
- NIMH NOT-MH-19-053: Notice of NIMH’s Considerations Regarding the Use of Animal Neurobehavioral Approaches in Basic and Pre-clinical Studies.
- Central Nervous System (CNS) Radiotracer Table: A table of CNS radiotracers that have been advanced for use in human studies.
- Lead Compound Report Card: Use this form to summarize the characteristics of a lead compound you are studying and the desired characteristics of a therapeutic candidate, to track progress through the lead optimization process.
- Sample Drug Development Testing Funnel: A graphical illustration of the comprehensive series of assays used for lead optimization and candidate selection.