Skip to main content

Transforming the understanding
and treatment of mental illnesses.

Celebrating 75 Years! Learn More >>

Human Genetics Branch Human Genetics Branch

Need Help?

Locate Mental Healthcare Services in Your Area

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration 

Need a treatment program?

Within the Federal government, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) offers a Services Locator for mental health and substance abuse treatment programs (both inpatient and outpatient) and resources nationwide. 

Need affordable health care?

Within the Federal Government, a bureau of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) provides a Health Center Database for a nationwide directory of clinics to obtain low or no-cost healthcare. 

Need a therapist?
Resources for Locating a Mental Health Professional
The following sources may help you locate a mental health professional or treatment facility to meet your needs:

  • NAMI local affiliates and support groups - Speaking with NAMI members (consumers and family members) can be a good way to exchange information about mental health professionals in your local community.
  • Primary Care Physician (PCP) - If you are part of an HMO or other managed care insurance plan, your primary physician can refer you to a specialist or therapist.
  • Your insurance provider - Contact your insurance company or "behavioral health care organization" for a list of mental health care providers included in your insurance plan.
  • District Branch of the American Psychiatric Association - The APA can give you names of APA members in your area. Find your district branch online or consult your local phone book under the headings "district branch" or "psychiatric society."
  • Psychiatry department at local teaching hospital or medical school.
  • National Association of Social Workers (NASW) has an online directory of clinical social workers. Visit and click on Resources.
  • American Psychological Association can refer to local psychologists by calling 1-800-964-2000.
  • (Toll free /24 hours a day / 7 days a week): 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)