Office of Fellowship Training (OFT)
The mission of the Office of Fellowship Training is:
- To support and promote a productive and fulfilling research training experience in the NIMH Intramural Research Program
- To encourage career planning and guide career management through trainee use of Individual Development Plans (IDPs)
- To provide programs and services to assist trainees in discovering and clarifying career choices
- To provide opportunities and to encourage trainees to build a professional skill set which enables them to become world leaders in academic and non-academic careers
Trainee Successes: Past & Present
Dr. Mbemba Jabbi, Ph.D.
Dr. Mbemba Jabbi is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Psychiatry, Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin. His lab studies how genes influence the structural and functional properties of brain circuitries critical for perception, cognition and adaptive aspects of human emotions. To better understand the neurogenetic influences on emotions, his group examines how the emergence of affective disorders are linked to genetic signatures of maladaptive brain functions. His research is integrative in that he: 1) analyzes normal behavioral, diagnostic and environmental phenotypes of affective states, 2) applies anatomical and physiological neuroimaging measures to analyze emotionally tractable brain states, and 3) employs genetic and molecular analyses of adaptive and maladaptive brain-mediated affective functions across the human developmental spectrum.
After obtaining his Ph.D. in Clinical Neuroscience from the University of Groningen, he joined Dr. Karen Berman’s Section of Integrative Neuroimaging in 2007 as a Fogarty International Visiting Postdoctoral Fellowship. Mbemba continued training with Dr. Berman as a research fellow until he joined the Dell Medical School’s Department of Psychiatry, at the University of Texas, Austin in 2016.
- Variation in the Williams syndrome GTF2I gene and anxiety proneness interactively affect prefrontal cortical response to aversive stimuli. Jabbi M, Chen Q, Turner N, Kohn P, White M, Kippenhan JS, Dickinson D, Kolachana B, Mattay V, Weinberger DR, Berman KF. Transl Psychiatry. 2015 Aug 18;5:e622. doi: 10.1038/tp.2015.98. PMID: 26285132 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article
- The Williams syndrome chromosome 7q11.23 hemideletion confers hypersocial, anxious personality coupled with altered insula structure and function. Jabbi M, Kippenhan JS, Kohn P, Marenco S, Mervis CB, Morris CA, Meyer-Lindenberg A, Berman KF. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Apr 3;109(14):E860-6. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1114774109. Epub 2012 Mar 12. PMID: 22411788 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article
- Bridging the gene-behavior divide through neuroimaging deletion syndromes: Velocardiofacial (22q11.2 Deletion) and Williams (7q11.23 Deletion) syndromes. Eisenberg DP, Jabbi M, Berman KF. Neuroimage. 2010 Nov 15;53(3):857-69. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.02.070. Epub 2010 Mar 3. Review. PMID: 20206275 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article
- BDNF Val66 Met polymorphism tunes frontolimbic circuitry during affective contextual learning. Jabbi M, Cropp B, Nash T, Kohn P, Kippenhan JS, Masdeu JC, Mattay R, Kolachana B, Berman KF. Neuroimage. 2017 Sep 1;162:373-383. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2017.08.080. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28867340 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Midbrain presynaptic dopamine tone predicts sustained and transient neural response to emotional salience in humans: fMRI, MEG and FDOPA PET. Jabbi M, Nash T, Kohn P, Ianni A, Rubinstein D, Holroyd T, Carver FW, Masdeu JC, Kippenhan JS, Robinson SE, Coppola R, Berman KF. Mol Psychiatry. 2013 Jan;18(1):4-6. doi: 10.1038/mp.2012.12. Epub 2012 Mar 13. No abstract available. PMID: 22411228 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article
- Convergent BOLD and Beta-Band Activity in Superior Temporal Sulcus and Frontolimbic Circuitry Underpins Human Emotion Cognition. Jabbi M, Kohn PD, Nash T, Ianni A, Coutlee C, Holroyd T, Carver FW, Chen Q, Cropp B, Kippenhan JS, Robinson SE, Coppola R, Berman KF. Cereb Cortex. 2015 Jul;25(7):1878-88. doi: 10.1093/cercor/bht427. Epub 2014 Jan 23. PMID: 24464944 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Free PMC Article