Funding Policy and SOP for Detail Opportunities for Postdoctoral/Visiting Fellows
Exploration of non-research, science-related career paths can be an important component of training for Postdocs and Visiting Fellows at the NIMH. The Office of Fellowship Training will consider providing support for Postdoctoral or Visiting Fellows who identify a science-oriented detail opportunity, have the permission of their mentor, and agree to return to their NIMH research position upon completion of the detail. A detail would be a rotation of up to 3 months, and justified as an integral part of the NIH research experience.
Detail support from OFT will be:
- Up to 50% coverage of stipend for the duration of the training experience.
Candidates for Detail support must:
- Be at least a second year Postdoc/Visiting Fellow
- Complete an Individual Development Plan (IDP) which includes justification of how this training will benefit the trainee’s career plans
- Have approval of Principal Investigator in the form of a letter
- Obtain a letter from the individual whom you will report to on your detail which describes the purpose of the detail and identifies the knowledge and/or skills you are anticipated to learn during the detail
- Commit to completing research with Principal Investigator upon completion of the detail
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
If the trainee has met the criteria outlined above and the Principal Investigator is requesting OFT Funding:
- The PI should contact Aneka Reid in the OFT to obtain a template Career Development Training Letter of Request. This letter should be completed with the information for the trainee, printed on NIMH IRP letterhead, signed by the PI and the mentor offering the training opportunity and returned to Aneka Reid.
- The Letter of Request should be submitted at least 1 month prior to the desired start date for the training opportunity.
- The completed letter will be forwarded to the Director of the Office of Fellowship Training (OFT) and the Director of the Office of Intramural Research Administration (OIRA) for consideration. The Director, OFT and Director, OIRA will approve or deny the request and notify the PI of the decision.
- If approved, the signed letter will be returned to the Principal Investigator.
- If approved a onetime transfer of OFT funds will be made to the Principal Investigator’s CAN in the amount of the requested support.